We recognize and respect the fact that freedom of speech is a human right and peaceful protests signal a healthy democratic society.
Our purpose in monitoring and compiling publicly available information about protests and strikes is to identify any threats to property or people.
Dakota Access Pipeline:
- Opposed by Standing Rock Sioux and other indigenous groups as well as their supporters
- Protests have been ongoing throughout 2016
- Mon. Nov 21 – Protestors who were blocking a highway in North Dakota were doused with water, tear gas, and rubber bullets
- Keywords: #NoDAPL, #StandingRock
Occupy INAC (Indigenous and North American Affairs)
- Regina (Apr. 19-present), Winnipeg (Apr. 14-present), Vancouver (Apr. 18-25), and Toronto (Apr. 13-21)
- Protestors initially gathered due to the suicide crisis in Attawapiskat
- Complaints have become more generalized and criticisms are being made regarding the “Indian Act”
- Occupy INAC in Vancouver ended after federal ministers agreed to meet with protesters
- Keywords: #OccupyINAC, INAC, Attawapiskat